Governor McMaster and Director Farmer have announced that the second round of funding from the state’s share of the Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust will be invested in 235 new, propane-fueled buses to update our aging school bus fleet. The funds will also purchase three electric transit buses to be used in Charleston and Florence.
The SCDOI partially funded three of 11 applications for the second round of funding. The award recipients are as follows:
1. SC Department of Education
- $23,635,830 for 235 propane school buses
- The SC Department of Education has committed $87,400 to build two new propane fueling stations to expand the propane school bus fleet throughout the state
- School districts expected to receive buses include: Aiken, Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Dorchester County School District Two, Greenville, Horry, Lexington School District One, Richland School District One, Richland School District Two, York School District Four
2. Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments
- $608,000 for 1 electric transit bus for CARTA
- Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments has committed 20% of the funds as a local match
- Will purchase an electric bus manufactured in SC from Proterra
- Leveraging existing charging infrastructure for charging the bus
3. Pee Dee Regional Transportation Authority
- $295,500 for 2 electric transit buses + charging infrastructure
- Pee Dee Regional Transportation Authority will apply for federal funds to cover 85% of the costs of the buses and charging infrastructure
- These will be the first electric transit buses for the PDRTA
A complete overview of the second round of funding is available by clicking here. This overview includes links to the applications received in response to the Round 1 Request for Applications. It also includes links to the funding award letters for the three applications that were funded.
A copy of the media release of this announcement is available by clicking here.
Additional information about the Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust is available at doi.sc.gov/vwsettlement.