The South Carolina Department of Insurance (SCDOI) works hard to aid consumers and resolve their insurance issues. In fact, it is one of the biggest roles of the SCDOI.
In 2018, the SCDOI helped consumers recover $4,181,847.03 in insurance-related payments. These recovered funds are in addition to the original amounts offered to policyholders and claimants by insurance companies. These amounts were recovered through the investigation and resolution of nearly 3,400 consumer complaints. The SCDOI assisted an additional 9,400 South Carolinians with general insurance-related inquiries in 2018, bringing the total number of consumers assisted to more than 12,800.
“The public servants in our Office of Consumer Services are a great asset to our team here at the SCDOI,” said Director Ray Farmer. “Our dedicated team members work hard each day to regulate the insurance industry and to ensure consumers receive the full protection of the law.”
To help and protect consumers, the SCDOI provides a variety of tools and resources online, including:
• The SCDOI participates as a part of a national life insurance policy locator service, hosted by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, which searches for unclaimed life insurance policies. Visit: doi.sc.gov/lpsearch to access.
• Search sample premiums for homeowners’ and auto insurance at doi.sc.gov/pricecompare.
• View the SCDOI’s Medicare Supplement Shopper’s Guide (one of our most downloaded consumer guides) online at doi.sc.gov/medigap.
• Coastal consumers can learn more about incentives to strengthen their homes in advance of a hurricane and ways to save on their insurance premiums at doi.sc.gov/coastal.
• Homeowners interested in being connected with a local insurance agent to shop their homeowners’ coverage can sign up for our Market Assistance program at doi.sc.gov/marketassist.
The SCDOI Office of Consumer Services can help answer your insurance questions by phone or email. Simply call 803-737-6180 (toll free: 1-800-768-3467) Monday through Thursday between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm and Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. To file a consumer complaint, please visit http://doi.sc.gov/complaint.