Types of Coverage in a Homeowner's Insurance Policy

Please read your policy to know your coverage limits.

The following are examples of the types of coverage that are usually listed in your insurance policy. A brief description is also included:
  • Damage to House

    - Covers damage to the house. The face amount of the policy (for example, $100,000) is the most you will receive if your house is totally destroyed.
  • Other Structures

    - Covers damage to other structures or buildings, such as a detached garage, work shed, or fencing.
  • Personal Property

    - Covers damage to or loss of personal property. Personal property includes household contents and other personal belongings used, owned, or worn by you and your family. See section on extras for personal property that may need added coverage.
  • Additional Living Expenses

    - Covers additional living expenses when incurred. This means that the policy covers the necessary living expenses up to the stated limit, incurred by the insured, to continue as nearly as possible the normal standard of living when the house cannot be occupied due to a covered loss.
  • Comprehensive Personal Liability

    - Covers personal liability. This coverage protects you against claims arising from accidents to others on property that you own or rent. With a few exceptions, such as auto or boating accidents, it is an all-purpose liability policy, which follows you wherever you go.
  • Medical Expense

    - Covers medical expenses, limited to a specific amount per person. Also covers per accident for injuries occurring on your premises to persons other than an insured, or elsewhere, if caused by you, a member of your family, or your pets. An important feature of this coverage is that payment is made regardless of legal liability.

Contact Information

If you have questions, please call Consumer Services at 803-737-6180 or your insurance provider.