The Department monitors the insurance market conduct activity for the companies licensed to transact business in South Carolina. Our agency assesses the market as a whole and the individual companies to ensure the needs of our consumers are being met. Appropriate action is taken if problems are identified.
Market Share Report
The South Carolina Market Share Report is a complete list of the leading insurers writing business in South Carolina. The Report is developed from the amounts reported on the insurers' South Carolina Fee and Tax Returns and verified with the amounts reported on their Annual Statement.
2011 Complete Market Share Report
Market Share Reports by Line of Business
Accident & Health Insurers
Commercial Auto Insurers
Eligible Surplus Lines Insurers
Farmowners Multiple Peril Insurers
Federal Flood Insurers
Homeowners Multiple Peril Insurers
Private Passenger Auto Insurers
Workers Compensation Insurers
Our online search tool for insurance companies allows consumers to find information about insurance companies licensed to do business in South Carolina, including contact information, licensed producers, types of insurance offered and complaint history.
To find information about an insurance company doing business in South Carolina, please follow the instructions below.
- After reviewing the list of insurers in the Market Share Report, select the company of your choice and write down the 6-digit company code number.
- Click "Search for Insurance Companies."
- Type the 6-digit code into the South Carolina company code field and then click search.
- When the result appears, click on the company's name to view demographics and license information.
- To view the company's complaint summaries and search by city for producers appointed by the company, click on the identified link on the right side of the page.
Claims Phone and Fax Numbers
Insurance Company Ratings
A.M. Best Company is a provider of ratings, news and financial data for the insurance industry worldwide. Best's Ratings are recognized as the benchmark for assessing the financial strength of insurance related organizations and the credit quality of their obligations.
Search Company Ratings
SCDOI Contact Information
Toll Fee: 800-768-3467