The South Carolina Department of Insurance is implementing an awareness and media campaign with a focus on the importance of planning, preparing and protecting one’s family and home against storms and severe weather. The program provides tips and helpful information to help guide South Carolinians through the process of identifying their risks and planning now for what may lie ahead.
In addition to a state-wide radio campaign with iHeart Media, the Department will lead a series of outreach meetings and events that will be held throughout the state at forty-six county libraries. These free “Ask the Expert Series and Story Time Events with SC Scout” will be advertised prior to the event to encourage public participation.
Please visit this page for updates and to learn more about SC Scout and his adventures across the state to help make South Carolinians Storm READY. SC Scout says it’s easy to remember: Plan, Prepare and Protect!
Hurricane season begins June 1st and continues throughout the month of November. Consumers should review their insurance policies, revisit or create a home inventory and update their family emergency plans now so that they are prepared.
The following information can help you plan, prepare and protect your family from natural disasters.
- Develop an emergency plan that will prepare you in case you need to evacuate your home or take shelter. The safest place to take shelter, if an emergency shelter is not available, is in a basement but if you do not have a basement, an interior bathroom or closet without windows is the next best option. The National Weather Service preparedness brochure, provides detailed information about preparing for tornadoes, severe thunderstorms and floods. Review your emergency plans with your family so that you are ready before the storm hits and be mindful of your pets.
- Review your insurance policy so that you know if you have adequate coverage. Understanding your policy will also help you plan for any out-of-pocket expenses you may incur if your home is damaged, such as paying for your deductible or for temporary living expenses. Be sure to understand the difference between replacement cost and actual cash value. A standard homeowners or renters policy does not cover damage from flood; you will need to purchase a separate flood insurance policy. Please visit www.floodsmart.gov for additional information.
- Take an inventory of your property. Make a list of all valuables, furniture, electronics, etc. and photograph or videotape your possessions. Keep copies of the list, photographs, and videotape in a safe place outside your home. If your home is damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster, it may be difficult for you to describe to your insurance agent what you have lost without proof. You may also download the free app to make an inventory of your belongings using your smart phone device.
The South Carolina Emergency Management Division, a division of the Adjutant General's Office, is responsible for the development, coordination,and oversight of the state emergency management program and is responsible for the response to and recovery from emergencies and natural disasters to include hurricanes and other severe weather events. Please visit SCEMD.org for additional information to include the SCEMD Hurricane Guide and the Know Your Zone Guide.
Emergency Shelter Locations SC 511 Service SC Weather, NOAA Service SC Coastal Evacuation Routes Plan and Prepare - FEMA.gov
- Media Release: Tropical Storm Bonnie Serves as an Important Reminder
- Agenda: Coastal Property Insurance Public Hearing and Information Session
- Press Release: Story Time with SC Scout at Beaufort Libraries
- Media Release: Coastal Property Insurance Marketplace Information Session and Public Hearing, Thursday, June 2, 2016 and Storm READY Expo, Saturday, June 4, 2016 in Bluffton, SC
- Notice of Public Hearing
- Media Release: Save the Dates: 2016 Coastal Property Insurance Marketplace Annual Information Session and Public Hearing and Storm Ready Expo to take place in Bluffton,SC
Storm READY Expo - Florence, SC Portable Generator Sweepstakes Storm READY Expo Easley, SC