The South Carolina Department of Insurance provides a variety of resources to help consumers shopping for insurance coverage.
Get Help with Shopping for Property Insurance through SC MarketAssist
Solution 1: Consumers can complete the Market Assistance Consumer Registration Form to sign up for a free and secure service which makes their information available to agents and companies for forty-five (45) days. After completing this short questionnaire, licensed agents and companies participating in the SC MarketAssist program will be able to review the consumer's property insurance needs and contact contact the consumer in the most convenient way -- either by phone, mail, or email.
Solution 2: Consumers that prefer a more hands-on approach can request a list of participating agents and companies and then contact individual agents or companies directly to discuss their property insurance needs. For a list of agents and companies participating in the SC MarketAssist program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Insurance companies and agents interested in participating in the SC MarketAssist program should complete the Market Assistance Insurer Registration Form.
Questions about SC MarketAssist? Email Joseph R. McDonald at email@example.com.
Compare Sample Auto and Homeowners Insurance Rates Using Our Price Comparison Tool
The Department has developed a tool that allows consumers to compare price estimates from insurance companies that sell auto and homeowners insurance in South Carolina. You will be asked to answer several questions about yourself, where you live, your desired level of coverage, and your car or home. Answering these questions to the best of your ability should result in a better price estimate.
Find Market Share Information for Insurance Companies Writing Business in South Carolina
Market Share reports provide information on companies by line of business in South Carolina. These reports are developed from the amounts reported on insurers' South Carolina fee and tax returns and verified with the amounts reported on their annual statement.
- View the 2015 Complete Market Share Report
- Interested in market share information for companies writing a specific type of insurance? Click on the type of insurance under the MARKET SHARE REPORTS BY LINE OF BUSINESS heading on the right-hand side of this page.
Search for an Insurance Company
The Department's Online Services tool for insurance companies allows consumers to find information about insurance companies and agents licensed to do business in South Carolina. In addition to contact information, you can search for licensed agents (called producers) that represent a company in your city and also review their consumer complaint history.
To find information about an insurance company doing business in South Carolina, please follow the instructions below:
- After reviewing the list of insurers in the Market Share Report, select the company of your choice and write down the six-digit company code number.
- Select "Search for Insurance Companies."
- Type the six-digit code into the South Carolina company code field and then select search.
- When the result appears, select the company's name to view demographics and license information.
- To view the company's complaint summaries and search by city for producers appointed by the company, select the identified link on the right side of the page.
Claims Phone & Fax Numbers
View a list of company claims phone and fax numbers.
Insurance Company Ratings
A.M. Best Company is a provider of ratings, news, and financial data for the insurance industry worldwide. Best's ratings are recognized as the benchmark for assessing the financial strength of insurance related organizations and the credit quality of their obligations.
- Search company ratings.